Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Is God real. Absolutely. But we are too tiny to see over that mountain.

I like to imagine that we get the word God from the imaginary word GUTT...which, in my own imaginary parlance of pondering, stands for the Great Unknowable Transcendent Truth.  God is simply man's convenient way of referring to whatever it is that started the universe, created all the beauty of nature, and keeps it all purring along smoothly.  Is God a bunch of robots?  An alien force?  A bearded dude in the clouds with lots of wisdom and magical powers?  I don't have any idea.  But there is no question in my mind that, based on that broadest of definitions, God is just as real as anything we can see and touch. 
 
So, what about all those preachers and churches that keep insisting they are in touch with a living, personal God who says this, or did that, or wants this or the other?  Are they full of it?  No, not necessarily.  But the more they stray from the notion of trust based on 'faith' and get into claiming to actually be in touch with God (as with another human being) the more likely they are to be mistaken.  And, besides, the numbers don't add up.  There can only be one body of truth; so if someone were to be lucky enough to hit it right on the head, it would immediately mean that all the others have to be off in the ozone somewhere.  Let's look at it logically.
 
Elementary arithmetic anyone? Let us suppose for the moment that there have been, for the sake of conversation, 10,000 totally unique and different definitions of God throughout history. What is the most that could possibly be correct? (Answer: one) What is the least that could possibly be correct? (Answer:  zero) Okay, with me so far? So, now, do the math. How many does that leave that are GUARANTEED to be wrong? Only two possibilities, right?  Either 9,999.....or 10,000.   But, of course, we know that all 10,000 swear that they alone are right and keep preaching that message to beat the band.
 
Now, if I were a betting man and looking for someone wise to follow, I wouldn't put a nickel on any of those 10,000 churches and religions. I would instead go with the one that admits they don't have any earthly idea who, what or where God really is.  And that is precisely where I am on the God matter.  I have faith that God is something that is out there somewhere; but I don't dwell on trying to figure 'Him' out. I place my trust instead in Jesus who I believe was (and perhaps still is) a real person who probably actually does know God. I do my praying to him, and he is my connection to the big guy.
 
God may or may not have a brain and thoughts and opinions.  But the one we affectionately call our Father in Heaven, whoever or whatever that might be, is not something spiritual, or supernatural, or metaphysical.  God is real: the real explanation for everything--the real "big picture" of which we are an infinitesimally small part.  But it all lies so far over the distant mountain, beyond our horizon of understanding, that we can never have the physical capability of ever going there.  The best we can ever do is have faith that God does exist and is good.        

No comments: